To answer this, one first needs to define what constitutes a good system. A good system is one which allows the listener to become absorbed in music or be engrossed by a movie.Mass market packaged home theatre and mini systems don’t have the ability to do this. A good Hi-Fi will entertain, allow you to connect to your music, relax you, make you want to dance, make you want to come home and push play. A good system doesn’t reduce music to the background but instead draws you in.
For a pure stereo Hi Fi our entry recommendation consists of:
- NAD C516BEE – CD player
- NAD C316BEE – Stereo amplifier
- Mission MX3 – Floor standing speakers
- Supra 2.5 and Du – Speaker cable and interlink
The above combination sells for R 23 850 vat incl. It is musical, punchy, dynamic, images, has a deep controlled bass and above all makes music. If one is looking at building up a system the above components are also sold individually allowing you to use existing equipment and upgrade over time.
For a good entry level home theatre system we recommend
- Yamaha RX-V579 – Home theatre amplifier
- Klipsch R-26F Home theatre speaker package – Which consists of the Klipsch R25F floor standing front speakers, Klipsch R25C centre channel speaker, Klipsch R14M bookshelf rear speakers and a Klipsch R10SW 10 inch active sub woofer.
- Supra 1.6 – 30m Speaker cable
The above home theatre sells for R 39 850 vat incl. It offers a level of performance streaks ahead of mass market home theatres and will allow you to appreciate a movie’s soundtrack well beyond most commercial cinemas.